Saturday, April 28, 2007

How good does a school need to be in a Flat World?

The short answer is, better than we have ever been. As educators we can no longer be content with being better than average, we have to continually look to improve all student learning.

Earlier in the year I had expressed disappointment with the student performance on the MEAP tests. Soon after I received an e-mail of support from a parent suggesting I should be happy with the scores because we performed above the State average. Although I appreciated the support, I still can't feel content.

Unfortunately my students will compete for jobs with the current students in India, China, and other developing countries. My students not only need to outperform the students in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Port Huron. They need to outperform the students in Bangalore, Beijing, and Prague.

So how do we accomplish this next level of student performance?


2 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. You know people in China are like 3-4 years ahead of us in their studies. I think the students should take the MEAP tests more then once a year and the schools should provide a reward for students so that they would want to do extremely good on the test. I was a student once before and I think that if I was rewarded for achieving something, then I would deffiantly try harder. I'm not saying to go way out of your way to reward the students with something extremely expensive give them like a free day where all day they can talk with their friends, but give it to all the students, not just the ones that recieve something higher than state level.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the students should take the MEAP test more then just once a year. One time in the beginning of the year to show what the know and remembered from the year before, and another at the end of the year to show what they have learned and what they need to learn, and also to show how much more they improved. I think this would greatly help the students and their scores. My son told me that he would take the test twice each year even though it was too long, and boring but it still would help him alot throughtout the rest of his school years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home